Honoring the Vets
Lest We Forget
Mt Zion Historical Park Vets Walkway
A WW2 Vet Remembering
Bennett's Valley citizens have served in all of our American conflicts since
coming to the Valley (and before). These include the War of 1812, Civil War,
World War 1, World War 2, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, and current day conflicts.
The Mt Zion Historical Society and the American Legion Post 978 initiated this special
project to fulfill its mission. The Veteran's Memorial and Walkway are our outward sign
of honoring our Bennett's Valley veterans. The Society and American Legion Post 978 are compiling
information on all veterans of Jay and Benezette townships (whoever was either born,
buried, or died while residing in either of these two townships). We could use your help
in completion of this list. If you have any information to contribute please
email us .
Please help us complete the vets' list.
To honor your favorite veteran, you can order walkway bricks. Please print out and complete the
linked application and mail in.
WOW!- A Special MZHS Book Offer Collecting these stories has brought us into contact with so many Valley friends,relatives, and those just interested
in what we have been doing. One such person is Ralph Welsh , a B24 pilot in WW2 England. Ralph's passion for aviation
drove him to put together 148 stories of the 8th Army Air Forces during WW2. For those interested in these personal
military and aviation stories you will find Ralph's book of interest and it may even "WOW" you, as his title suggests.
The Mt Zion Historical Society has made a special arrangement with Ralph Welsh to sell his book, and provide a means of
additional funding for our own vet projects. Each book costs $25 which includes taxes,shipping and postage. Please e-mail
Bob Nay or
Jim Burke with your shipping address. You can
also mail your request and $25 check made out to Mt Zion Historical Society to Jim Burke, 1793 Mt Zion Rd,
Weeedville, Pa 15868. For further information about this book please check out the Ralph Welsh website at
http://www.wow-book.com/. But if you do order a book, please support our efforts. Thank You.
Ralph Welsh's WW2 Air Force Anthologies
Lest We Forget- Remembering our Special Patriots:
The Mt Zion Historical Society has a special focus for our Bennett's Valley vets. These stories are a great way
to honor our vets. If you would like to contribute an article please click on
Jim Burke to contact him via e-mail.
- Special Delivery and Message-
May God Bless this Airline Captain
- Beck, Paul Walter: Tech5
- Bloom, Jack : TSgt, US Army, Prisoner of War-
- Bricen,Thomas J Jr: US AAF WW2 Staff Sergeant- MZHS "Hero of Air Power"
- Brookins, Elijah Linsley: Civil War Bucktails
- Burke, William Ambrose, SM/SGT (RET); US AAF/USAF-"MZHS Hero of Air Power"
- Carlson, Charles: US Army WW2
- Gardner, Calvin R: US Army WW2, Private--"MZHS Vet Honor Walk"
- Gardner, Theodore O: US Army WW2, Private--"MZHS Vet Honor Walk"
- Gardner, Thomas (Tommy) Harry: US Army WW2, PFC, Purple Heart--"MZHS Vet Honor Walk"
- Gardner, John B- US Army WW2 Airborne; Purple Heart--"MZHS Hero of Air Power"
- Guilyard,Gene Gerald: PFC, Silver Star
- Harrison, Harry E: Pvt, Bronze Star
- Huff, William Harold "Toad": Private
- Lucore, Moses: 1LT, Civil War
- Miller, Darlene Anderson, SFC, US Army (WAC), Legion of Merit
- Moore, Charles Bernard, S/Sgt, US Army Air Corps, WW2
- Olewnik, Joseph Paul: Navy, WW2
- Parziale, Carmine Anthony: TMC, KIA--"MZHS Vet Honor Walk"
- Reed, Bobby: Sgt
- Silinsky, John , Jr: PFC, KIA
- Showers, John : Bronze Star Recipient; KIA
- Smith, Myles
- Smith, Thomas V: 1st Lt;B25 Pilot, WW2-Pacific-Purple Heart;KIA--MZHS "Hero of Air Power"
- Stroup, George: SFC- WW2/ Korea; Bronze Star, Purple Heart
- Swackhammer, Don : SSgt; Silver Star; Purple Heart
- Swackhammer, Merle : Corp
- Trenn, Max Bruno: Staff Sergeant, KIA
- Winslow, Thomas B:1LT, Civil War Bucktails
- Winslow, William Burke: LTC, Distinguished Flying Cross--"MZHS Hero of Air Power"
- The Bill and Gladys Winslow Family: World War Two Families
- Woodring, H Calvin: MGy/Sergeant(Ret); Marine Aviation Pilot--"MZHS Hero of Air Power"
- Woodring, Floyd: 2Lt,20th AAF-Pacific Theater; B29 Pilot, WW2-KIA--"MZHS Hero of Air Power"
Copyright © 2008-2011
Mt Zion Historical
All materials located on this website are the sole
property of the Mt. Zion Historical Society and its contributors. Contact us for permission to use
beyond your individual non-commercial purposes